Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Eulogy For A Friend

Dear Dysfunctional,
I started out as a child. During those carefree years of discovering the world and playing baseball, one thing I distinctly remember as a constant companion and comfort was the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. During the first five years of my life, I subsided almost solely on the dish, the holy grail of versatile yet delicious comestibles. With him did I plot my conquest of Europe and with him I glided through the sky carried aloft by the wings of my imagination, and fueled by his carbohydrates and simple sugars. My relationship with my trusted friend was perhaps more one sided and mainly beneficial for me, but for this reason I find myself even more in his debt. A stalwart ally, even when I was crying and covered with cuts and bruises. I always knew that PB&J would be there, a comfort in its unwavering and unchanging deliciousness. Throughout the years, my relationship with my dear friend has weakened somewhat, and my social circle has widened to include many of the other foodstuffs and delicacies available to me; but even after my abuse and thoughtlessness, peanut butter and jelly has ever remained by my side, always ready to offer its simplistic flavor as a welcome change for my sophist palate. And ofttimes, when the night waxes late, I turn my steps toward the kitchen for a visit with an old friend.
Thanks for everything,
Fredrick Kimmell

PS song of the day is NOT peanut butter jelly time. Instead, it is 5 Years Time, by Noah And The Whale.  


1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha it would have been epic if the song is PBJ time >D

    Daww I grew up on bread despite being Asian. Note: We are suppose to eat rice <.> I dislike the taste and texture of rice but I simply adore bread, even just plain white bread! I don't like toast though lol, anyways yes PBJ is one of my favourite all time bread combination!

    And one of the worst things to do is to slather a whole thick layer of peanut butter on it. My Godbrother termed it the 'Bread Glue" lolol

    ReplyDelete